Thursday 4 June 2009

Barcelona to Fornells, Menorca - 120 Miles, 22 Hours

Fornells, Menorca


THURSDAY 28 - FRIDAY 29 MAY

We left mainland Spain for the last time to go to Menorca, ready for our crossing to Sardinia. We managed to sail over half the way there and only used about 40 litres of diesel. Small sail jelly fish accompanied us the whole way to Menorca. We had only seen these once before when we sailed to Tenby a few years ago. The only other wildlife we saw on the trip was a dolphin which jumped right next to the boat as I was looking into the water and scared the life out of me! I was feeling a little seasick late afternoon and couldn’t eat any tea. I took the 10 p.m. – 2 a.m. night watch, during which I was sick. It was a very clear night and the stars were magnificent, although I was feeling too ill to enjoy them.

We picked up one of the free buoys in Fornells about 8.30 a.m. and after a bacon and egg breakfast (I was feeling better by then!) had a siesta. There didn’t seem to be so many buoys as last year, but it may still be a little early in the season. Luckily, the wonderful cheap restaurants were open, still serving excellent Menu del Dias during the day and evening for about 8 euros.

Diesel: 1.05c, 40 euros.

Wildlife: Dolphins, Sail Jellyfish

No comments: